Monday, December 7, 2020

Falling In Love All Over Again by BJ Neblett

 Falling In Love All Over Again by BJ Neblett

Meet Amy. When I was 15 I worked in a music store. Even with my discount, a Martin D18 cost $700! A lot of money. Then the Yamaha piano salesman came in with this guitar. Yamaha was wanting to get into the guitar business. They had their piano craftsmen hand build a limited number of guitars, using the same materials as their quality pianos.
I fell in love with this FG180, an EXACT copy of Martin's famous D18. It looked, felt, handled, and most importantly sounded every bit as good as the Martin. Amy, this Yamaha FG180 came home with me that very day.
65 years and many guitars later, I took her down from the wall today, and rekindled a life long romance. She has been all over the world with me, and she looks, plays and sounds even better then the day I got her.
As a footnote: Yamaha went on to manufacture guitars, eventually building a plant in Formosa. The original Red Label guitars are the most desirable, built from 1965 to about 1972. But...Amy, according to Yamaha's convoluted numbering system, is #9 of the original 50 or so hand built in the piano factory.

Anyone else out there have a vintage instrument they have kept and love?

Stay safe.

BJ




3 comments: