Sunday, October 7, 2018

Infinite Internet: We Are All Connected by BJ Neblett

You never know where you will pop up on the web these days. I have been honored with having my words featured on the Dr Martin Luther King Memorial Blog; some of my sayings used to caption beautiful, thought provoking images; my quotes repeated and re-printed in numerous articles, blogs and books, and used as inspirational messages; and those same words have even been found posted on the wall of a suburban London subway station for all to read. And of course, my books and short stories have found themselves around the world, translated into numerous languages. But what follows proves that we are truly a global community, and what goes around comes around.
In 2010, researcher Angelica Ortiz de Gortari coined the term, Game Transfer Phenomena. GTP refers to the effects of extreme video gaming. Dr. Angelica can explain it better than me, so I'll let her tell you in her own words:

I coined the term “Game Transfer Phenomenon/a” (GTP) in my original study on GTP in 2010 to describe automatic thoughts, altered sensory perceptions and automatic behaviours transferred from the virtual and the physical world.
                            Angelica Ortiz de Gortari from gametransferphenomena.com

Late in 2016 I watched fascinated as my friend, fellow author Alissa Berger intently played a newly acquired video game. What followed was an extended discussion on video games and video game addiction. Over the next few weeks an idea for a new book began to develop in my brain. By early 2017 I had begun work on what would become my latest book, Planet Alt-Sete-Nine: The Lost Princess. However I had no idea where my ideas and writing would take me. That question was soon answered by pianist and radio host John Tesh.
Tesh's Intelligence For Your Life daily broadcasts feature tips and information on helping you make a better life. Topics range from weight loss to safe driving to the newest fads. And one of those interesting topics just happen to be on video game addiction and a new study being conducted on something called Game Transfer Phenomena, or GTP. And GTP was the perfect hook for Planet Alt-Sete-Nine!

Fast forward about a year and a half, Planet Alt-Sete-Nine: The Lost Princess is published and selling out to rave reviews and I'm busy working on book two Princess Haylee. And what do I stumble upon? Dr. Angelica Ortiz de Gortari's blog site and a very nice mention of my book Planet Alt-Sete-Nine and its use of Game Transfer Phenomena! Did someone say, "Small world?"

I urge you to read Dr. Angelica's blog, and the page on my book. Here's the link: http://gametransferphenomena.com/2018/08/game-transfer-phenomena-in-a-sci-fi-book/ Dr. Angelica's research makes for some very interesting, timely and a bit frightening reading. Some things all parents with kids into video gaming need to know.

Thanks for the mention Doc, I look forward to reading more of your research. Drop me a line and I'll send you that signed copy of Planet Alt-Sete-Nine.

No comments:

Post a Comment