Monday, January 9, 2012

Finding Inspiration

As a writer I am often asked where ideas for stories come from. In my case I find it to be less ideas and more inspiration. Something will happen, someone will say or do something, and the writer's wheels will start turning. I can always tell when the process has begun because there will be a thought or situation which takes up residence in my brain. Then, for the next few weeks... or months, most every waking moment will be filled with conscious and unconscious comparisons of what is stuck in my mind and what is going on in the world around me. If the process is stubborn enough... and if I am disciplined enough, always a problem with writers, eventually a story will be born. This was definitely the case with Elysian Dreams.
Starting life as a writing exercise, my thoughts and words soon found themselves influenced by several talks and programs I saw which included one of NASA's brightest minds, Carol Stoker. Without giving too much of the plot away, Ms. Stoker's energy and passion for the work she does at the Ames Research Center helped bring the pages of Elysian Dreams to life for me... and hopefully for you the reader as well.
You never know where inspiration... or ideas, are going to come from. I urge all struggling writers to keep pen and paper close at hand and their eyes and minds wide open. And keep writing... you just never know.
Here is a link I think you'll find interesting:
http://spacescience.arc.nasa.gov/staff/carol-stoker
                                                                                                                        Peace,
                                                                                                                        BJ

No comments:

Post a Comment