Saturday, May 23, 2020

Guitars and Stars by BJ Neblett

Something a little different for today. Many who have viewed my web page, along with the photos I have posted there and here on my blog over the years, have asked about my guitars. You may know I worked as a radio DJ (and consequently as a night club/disco DJ) for most of my adult life. As a result I've had the pleasure of working with and knowing many singers, musicians, and pop, rock and R&B/soul artists. Yes, life has been pretty good. I am also a big music fan and have a large, ever growing record collection. Then, at the tender age of 12, I picked up my first guitar and never looked back. So, for the many wonderful emails inquiring about the guitars that often accompany my pics, here is a peek inside my humble collection.

Not quite where it all began, but close. After a couple of starter guitars, I purchased my first 'good' guitar 1965. The Yamaha on the right (Amy) is an FG-180 original Red Label. The convoluted serial number systems points to this being one of the first 300 made. I know this for a fact as I was working in a music shop in 1965 and bought her a week after the Yamaha piano rep dropped her off.
On the left (Angela) is a 1968 Yamaha FG-230 12 string original Red Label, Amy's twin sister. Both ladies are all original, in excellent condition, never having been refinished or rebuilt, and like any fine instrument, play and sound better than new.
Behind them is an original '80s Rickenbacker amp.



Say hello to Emily, the forever love of my life. Emily came to me longer ago than either of us care to recall. And, like Amy, we have been through and seen more than anyone should be permitted. Emily is an all original, never touched, refinished, rebuilt, or messed with in any way, 1956 Gretsch Country Club. She comes, as with Amy and Angela, in her original hard shell case, with case candy. The stories this elegant lady could tell! And before you jump on the email, at this point in time none of my guitars are for sale.



The old workhorse when I used to play regularly, here we have a very cool solid ash Fender Stratocaster. She was born in Mexico in the 80s, and owing to her solid ash construction is a bit of a heavy weight when it comes to Strats. Some of the best player guitars from Fender came from Mexico in the early/mid 80s, and she is no exception. I'll put her handling, tone and sound up against any American made Standard Stratocaster.


Every player needs, well, a player guitar, one they can grab up at a moments notice, know it will be in tune, sound great, and be able to handle whatever: an impromptu party, street corner busting, a trip to the beach, or just chillin' at home. I stumbled upon this great China made Fender Stratacoustic several years ago and haven't put her down since. Look close and you will see Fender scrolled on the head stock. This isn't the cheapo Squire models you see everywhere. They didn't make very many of the true Fender branded versions, and regardless of its China heritage, she plays and sounds like a champ, plugged in or on her own.

I had the pleasure of working with Chuck Berry several times. Way back in the 80s I hosted a stage show with him at the Houston Summit. It's funny, but working with celebs you don't look at them quite in the same light as a fan. They are just another person as yourself hoping to entertain and maybe make a buck in the process. After the show, Chuck told me that of all the times we'd worked together, I'd never once asked for a photo or an autograph. As you can see, he showed his appreciation in spades.




Yes, that is Buddy Holly's signature... well, sort of... they lifted his actual signature and placed it on this Les Paul clone (why a Les Paul I have no idea.) Just above Buddy's name are the actual autographs of Jerry Allison, Sonny Curtis, and Joe B Mauldin, the original Crickets. No, to my knowledge Buddy never played a Les Paul, but this is still one of my prized possessions. The three original Crickets signed a very limited number of items at the Surf Ballroom's Annual Memorial Party back around 1999 I believe, and signatures of the three together are fairly rare.


Just a peek at some of my favorite toys helping to keep me sane during these crazy shelter in place times we are living in. Hope you are managing well and have something to keep you from going crazy. If it's unusual, different, or just plain cool, drop me an email and maybe a pic about it.
Peace,
BJ

No comments:

Post a Comment